Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)

  • Most employers need an LMIA before they can hire a temporary worker

  • Before you start the hiring process, you must determine if you need an LMIA

  • If you do need an LMIA, you must hire a temporary worker through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP)

  • You must obtain an LMIA from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) before one can apply for their work permit
  • A positive LMIA will show that there is a need for the foreign worker to fill the job you are offering and that there is no Canadian worker available to do the job

  • The process of LMIA normally takes up to 5 months

💡Tips for LMIA

  • PGWP holders do not need it;
  • Obtaining LMIA is the responsibility of employers, not foreign workers
  • If you are especially skilled in something, you don’t have to be physically in Canada to be issued LMIA

Schedule a consultation today

We are ready to help you at any time convenient for you no matter where you are.
Your consultation will be held either online or in-person.

Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, virtual meetings are preferred.

Got questions?

Check out our FAQs section to find out more about immigration to Canada.

Sandra Bowen Immigration Frequently Asked Questions