Work Permit & Extension

  • There are 2 types of work permits: employer-specific work permit and open work permit.

  • An employer-specific work permit allows you to work in Canada under certain conditions on your work permit, which includes the name of your specific employer; the time period you will work for the employer, and the location of the employer.

    In this case, you will need either a copy of an LMIA or an employment number from your employer.
  •  An open work permit allows you to work for any employer except for the ones who failed to comply with the conditions set by the government to be eligible to offer work to foreigners or those who offer escort, erotic, or striptease job opportunities.

  • You can obtain an open work permit in specific situations, e.g. if you are an international student who graduated from a DLI and are seeking a PGWP.

💡Tips for Work Permits:

What you need to know about a work permit:

You need to have a valid job offer to get an employer-specific work permit; a job offer considered valid if:

  • It is a full-time and non-seasonal job;
    the length is at least a year;
  • It is found under such NOC categories as Skill Type 0, or Skill Level A or B;
  • It is in writing and sets out details of the job.

As a foreign worker in Canada, you have rights under application of the Employment Standard Act and Human Resources Canada

Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) is issued once in a lifetime, which means you cannot extend it or request again. To be eligible for PGWP you must study in Canada beforehand.

Schedule a consultation today

We are ready to help you at any time convenient for you no matter where you are.
Your consultation will be held either online or in-person.

Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, virtual meetings are preferred.

Got questions?

Check out our FAQs section to find out more about immigration to Canada.

Sandra Bowen Immigration Frequently Asked Questions